It's easy to file for an abatement as long as you remember that it must be in the Assessors Office by the date printed on your tax bill.
The following items must be completed if we are to address your abatement in a timely manner:
- Is this for your house or land (Real Property) or is it for the contents of your home (Personal Property)? If you are not domiciled in the Town of Brewster then you are responsible for Personal Property Tax.
- Complete 1A through 1C. Pay particular attention to 1C so that we may contact you if we need to do an inspection, walk through, etc.
- Complete 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D. Without this information the application is incomplete and any action may be delayed as we search our data bases to find the correct information. All this information is located on the bill. Your Tax Bill # (ACCOUNT) is located on the upper right hand corner of your bill. The assessed value is located right in the middle (Total Taxable Valuation). The location is found just above your name (Property Location). Zip code is not necessary. The Description of the property is located on the left hand side of the bill (Property Description). Class, area, map & parcel are all that you will need. If the bill is for personal property you only need to identify the class.
- Pages 2 and 3 must be completed as fully as possible. You must provide sales market comparables or similar properties compared by value.
- SIGN YOUR APPLICATION. IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU IF YOU FAIL TO SIGN AND THIS MAY PREVENT YOU FROM FILING IN A TIMELY MANNER.