Brewster will begin a new solid-waste management program in 2013 called Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) for solid-waste disposal.
What you need to know:
- All users of the Brewster Transfer Station will be required to have a valid vehicle permit.
- This year’s permit has been reduced to $45 for July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014.
- Permits for additional vehicles, registered to the same Brewster address, may be purchased for $10.00 each.
- PAYT will start October 1, 2013. Beginning then, all solid-waste must be contained in official town-authorized disposal bags. The PAYT bags are for solid-waste only, not for items that are recycled.
- Recycling paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, and metal containers will continue to be handled as they are now.
Bags will be available in 2 sizes and will be priced as follows:
- $2 each for 33 gallon bag which holds about 25 lbs.; like a yard waste bag.
- $1 each for a 15 gallon bag which holds about 12 lbs.; like a kitchen-sized bag.
- Bags will be sold at various local retailers. A list of participating merchants will be posted on the Town’s website (www.town.brewster.ma.us) and available at Town office buildings by Labor Day.
- The only new action required by Transfer Station users will be to purchase official Brewster “PAYT” Bagsand to use those bags when delivering solid-waste to the Transfer Station as of October 1, 2013.
Solid-waste refers to household trash that can not be recycled.
How does PAYT work and why is it good for Brewster?
- PAYT provides an incentive to residents to recycle more and that means less solid-waste.
- You will control how many PAYT bags you buy based on how much solid-waste you produce and how muchyou recycle.
- This is a more equitable method of meeting our solid-waste expenses than the current flat fee method.
- Brewster pays a per ton fee to dispose of solid-waste. PAYT will reduce this amount.
- Residents who recycle more help both the environment and the Town by reducing solid waste disposal costs.
The intent of the PAYT pricing program is to allow you to control how much you spend on solid-waste disposal. You can reduce your costs by keeping recyclable materials out of your PAYT trash bags. See also Frequently Asked Questions about PAYT.
Any resident can recycle at the Transfer Station with a valid Town of Brewster Transfer Station vehicle permit. A list of recyclable materials and recycling instructions is available online. As the PAYT launch nears, there will be additional educational materials to help residents increase their recycling and learn about composting. If you have additional questions, please call the Department of Public Works at 508-896-9665.