Open Position: Library Director

The Board of Directors of the Brewster Ladies’ Library is seeking an innovative, energetic individual as its next Library Director. The ideal candidate will have a strong public service orientation and will be capable of providing leadership that produces positive relationships with the public, the Town of Brewster and the staff. The Board of Directors have submitted a grant application to the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program for the current grant round. Preference will be given to candidates with building renovation experience.

The Brewster Ladies' Library serves as the free public library for the Town of Brewster and its year round population of (c.) 10,000 and summer population of (c.) 30,000. It is managed by the Board of Directors of the Brewster Ladies’ Library Association (a private non-profit organization) in a private-public partnership with the Town of Brewster. Currently the Town pays approximately 75% of the total Library budget with the Association providing the remaining 25% from membership fees, gifts and fundraisers.

The Library’s collection holds over 220,000 titles including non-print and digital material and it circulates over 182,000 items per year. Its staff of 11 is supplemented by over 170 volunteers working approximately 5,100 hours annually. It receives over 93,300 visits each year and is open more than 40 hours per week including Sunday afternoon hours from November-March. The library serves as a center for community activity, providing a large (150 seats) auditorium, several meeting rooms and a special Teen Room. In recent years the library has made significant investments in computer access and digital information sources. It is a member of CLAMS, (Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing network) providing patrons with Cape wide access to library holdings. For further information visit the Library’s website at: http://www.brewsterladieslibrary.org

QUALIFICATIONS: Advanced degree in library or information science from a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association. Must have seven to ten (7-10) years of progressive library management experience preferably in a municipal library setting and a minimum of three (3) years in a supervisory capacity or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Essential qualities include: strong managerial, supervisory, planning and organizational skills; administrative and budgetary skills; excellent customer service and problem-solving skills; excellent oral and written communication skills, and demonstrated computer and technology skills. Past experience dealing with municipal budgets and committees a plus.

DUTIES: Plans, organizes, directs, and administers all services and programs of the library, including the following:

  • Works with the Board of Directors to develop library policies which identify and address Library and community needs.
  • Supervises, directs, and formally evaluates full time Library staff on an annual basis and works with department heads for formal, annual evaluation of part-time staff. Supervises and oversees consultants and library volunteers.
  • Advises the Board on Library matters and keeps it informed of relevant issues and developments at the regional, state and national levels.
  • Responsible for budget management, including: preparation of the Library’s annual Town and Association budget with the Treasurer and Board President.
  • Proactively seeks opportunities to obtain grants from foundations, organizations and government sources

A detailed position description is available at: http://www.brewsterladieslibrary.org/ or click here to download in PDF format.

SALARY: The FY 2018 salary range for the position is: $66,300-$106.100. This position also includes a comprehensive benefit package including health insurance.

TO APPLY: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and references via email to the Brewster Ladies’ Library Association Board of Directors at: searchcommittee @brewsterladieslibrary.org

DEADLINE: Position open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply by November 22, 2017.