The Brewster Select Board recently established the Brewster Natural Resources Commission (BNRC). The Town now seeks volunteers to serve on the Commission who have natural resources, open space, conservation, water quality, coastal management, or other appropriate experience/expertise. Application form in PDF Format
The mission of Brewster Natural Resources Advisory Commission is to assist the Brewster Select Board and Department of Natural Resources (BDNR) in guiding the sustainable use and enjoyment of Brewster’s abundant natural resources in ways that safeguard and enhance the ecological, social, and recreational benefits of those resources over the long-term.
- Promote public understanding.Create a better understanding of and appreciation for Brewster’s natural resources.
- Provide guidance. Advise BDNR, Select Board, and Town Administration on issues related to the protection, management, and enhancement of the Town’s coastal resources, ponds, streams, conservation lands, beaches, and landings.
- Facilitate public discussion. Serve as a forum for public discussion and information exchange concerning the protection, enhancement, and management of the Town’s natural resources.
- Participate in policy development. Assist in developing policies and regulations regarding the Town’s natural resources.
- Serve as liaison among various groups engaged in complex issues. Assist with developing creative solutions for natural resource areas that have multiple user groups.
- Assist in coordinatingcomplex planning efforts related to natural resources across institutional boundaries.
- Oversee implementationof plans and programs related to natural resource issues as may be directed by Town Meeting and/or Select Board.
Meetings:The BNRC is expected to meet monthly beginning this fall. There will also be meetings with the public and individual assignments between Commission meetings.
Members:The BNRC will be composed of seven to nine members:
- Up to 5 members of the public at large preferably with a background in coastal issues, land management, and/or water protection
- One member each, representing:
- Shellfishing community
- Brewster Open Space Committee
- Brewster Conservation Trust
- Brewster Ponds Coalition