BOARD OF SELECTMEN -- PUBLIC BEACH AND LANDING POLICIES (POLICY NO: 22)
DATE APPROVED: 5/22/95, AMENDED: 8/25/97, 4/23/12, 2/19/16
- Public Beach area includes the beach, the parking lot and abutting Town sand dunes and flats. Yellow posts identify limits of Town property.
- Vehicle permits are required for parking at all Town beaches and landings from June 15 through the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. PERMIT MUST BE PLACED ON REAR LEFT BUMPER OF VEHICLE. Motor vehicles are not permitted to park or travel beyond the paved parking areas. Parking is only permitted in marked spaces. Parking is prohibited from blocking entrances to beach, walkways to beach, emergency access and side streets. Beaches and parking areas are closed from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am, unless otherwise posted. Permits for parking and shell fishing may be obtained at the Brewster Town Offices, 2198 Main Street: June 1 to the Sunday before Labor Day, in person 7 days a week at the Permit Sales Office between the hours of 9am to 3pm. All other times of the year, in the Selectmen’s Office, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:00pm or by mail-in request year round.
- THERE IS NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY, SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Please supervise children at all times within the public beach area, including in the water and on the flats. There is a lifeguard on duty at Long Pond in the summer months, from 9:00am to 4:00pm. Please see the Long Pond Use Policy.
- Please keep off any fenced or posted dune areas. These are areas which are subject to erosion from wind, water or traffic. Do not pick or disturb Sea Lavender, Beach Grass or other vegetation. Be aware of poison ivy, which is abundant. No feeding of waterfowl is allowed.
- Per Board of Health Regulation, Smoking is prohibited on all public bathing beaches.
- Per Board of Health Regulation, Animals and/or pets are not permitted on public beach areas or in unattended vehicles from May 1 to October 1. At all other times, owners are responsible for keeping pets leashed and for the removal of animal waste.
- The possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on Town property. It is unlawful for any person to consume alcoholic beverages on public highways or in public parking places, including vehicles thereon, within the Town of Brewster.
- Littering is prohibited. All refuse and recycling must be placed in a rubbish or recycling container. Please separate your refuse & recycling into the provided appropriate containers. Glass containers are not allowed on beaches. Household refuse may not be disposed of in beach refuse or recycling containers.
- No person shall disturb the peace and tranquility of others. No lewd, obscene, profane or indecent acts or language or excessive noise are permitted on Town property.
- The damaging, defacing, or removing of any building, structure, or sign on town property is not allowed. Violators will be prosecuted.
- Selling, advertising or giving away of goods or services on town property is not allowed, except with written permission from the Brewster Board of Selectmen.
- Tents, travel trailers, campers or other recreational vehicles are not allowed overnight on town property. Vehicles over 22ft are not permitted. Vehicles must fit within the painted lines.
- Use of Detergents, boat washing or rinsing is prohibited. Boat Storage or Board Mooring requires a town permit. Please contact the Natural Resources Department.
- Shellfishing is prohibited without a valid permit. Please see Town Shellfish Regulations.
- Each beach parking permit shall bear the registration number and/or validity dates for the vehicle for which it has been issued and shall be valid only for that vehicle and/or date. Failure to properly attach and display beach permit will result in a fine.
- Use of open fires or the use of fireworks is prohibited at all times, per the Fire Department
- Access to Town owned beach parking areas may be restricted at the discretion of the appropriate Town Agents at any time.
Possible Fines up to $200.00 for offenses.