The Town of Brewster has reached a negotiated agreement to purchase the Cape Cod Sea Camps properties, contingent on Town Meeting authorization and Town Election approval:
- $6M for the Pond Parcel: 66-acre parcel at 500 W. H. Besse Cartway that extends from Route 137 (Long Pond Road) west to Long Pond.
- $20M for the Bay Parcel: 55-acre parcel at 3057 Main Street (Route 6A) that stretches from Main Street north to Cape Cod Bay.
The Town will hold a Special Town Meeting on Saturday September 25 to consider three warrant articles concerning the acquisition of these two properties. Hard copies of the warrant are available at Town Hall and the Brewster Ladies Library. The Town has hosted two virtual public forums to inform residents, the most recent of which took place on September 17. The Select Board believes that Brewster voters deserve the chance to decide if the Town should acquire the Sea Camps and to determine the future of these properties.
The Select Board and Town Administration analyzed possible acquisition of the two parcels after the Sea Camps ceased operations in Fall 2020. The properties offer opportunities for significant public benefits including conservation of land, coastal dunes, and wetlands; habitat and drinking water protection; beach access; a home for a community center; extensive recreational amenities; and community housing. Acquisition for public use appears to be aligned with community priorities identified in the Brewster Vision Plan and resident feedback from other recent strategic planning initiatives. If Brewster voters decide to acquire the Cape Cod Sea Camps, the Town will facilitate a public engagement process inviting input from all residents about potential future uses. Informed by this community feedback, detailed Master Plans for each property will then be developed and brought to a future Town Meeting for subsequent voter approval.
Special Town Meeting will take place on September 25 at 10am (check-in begins at 9am) at the Stony Brook Elementary School ballfield. In the event of inclement weather, Town Meeting will held on September 26 starting at 1pm (check-in starting at 12pm). Unlike the last two outdoor town meetings, a tent will not be in place. Childcare will be available for children 5-12 years old.
The Town will then hold a Special Election on Tuesday October 5, from 7am to 8pm at Brewster Baptist Church, 1848 Main Street. Two debt exclusion questions will appear on this ballot. The ballot questions require simple majority votes to pass. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office for information on vote-by-mail ballots.
Updates and additional information about the potential acquisition of the Sea Camps will be posted on this webpage and distributed on the Town’s social media. Print information is also available at Town Hall.
- Brewster Select Board and Cape Cod Sea Camps’ Owners Sign Contracts for Town Purchase of Sea Camps Properties
- Brewster Plans for Community Involvement in Determining Future Uses of the Cape Cod Sea Camp Properties
- Cape Cod Sea Camps information Session 2 (PDF presentation)
- Cape Cod Sea Camps Informational Session 2 (video)
- Brewster Achieves Negotiated Sale of Sea Camps Properties and Will Update Residents at Second Public Forum
- FAQs About Using Eminent Domain To Acquire The Cape Cod Sea Camps For Public Use
- FAQs About Costs & Financing A Possible Acquisition Of The Cape Cod Sea Camps
- FAQs About Development, Zoning, & Possible Future Uses Of The Cape Cod Sea Camps
- FAQs About Sea Camps Special Town Meeting, Special Election, & Role Of The Brewster Select Board
- FAQs About The Cape Cod Sea Camps Sale
- Sea Camps Long Pond Parcel Video Tour
- Sea Camps Bay Parcel Video Tour
- Sea Camps Long Pond Parcel (GIS Map)
- Sea Camps Long Pond Parcel (Assessor's Property Card)
- Sea Camps Bay Parcel (GIS Map)
- Sea Camps Bay Parcel (Assessor's Property Card)
- Town Public Forum on Sea Camps Acquisition (PowerPoint/PDF, Aug. 17)
- Cape Cod Sea Camps Acquisition Aligned with Resident Feedback on Community Goals and Priorities
- Town of Brewster Plans That Are Aligned with Cape Cod Sea Camps Acquisition for Public Use
- Brewster Vision Plan (PDF)
- Town Announcement of Potential Acquisition of Sea Camps (PDF/PowerPoint, July 26)
- Town Forum on Acquisition of the Cape Cod Sea Camps (Video, Aug. 17, 2021)
- Press Release: Brewster Voters To Consider Town Acquisition of the Cape Cod Sea Camps for Public Use (PDF)