Over the past week, the Town of Brewster took a number of actions to address risks to the public while continuing to provide essential services to our residents. These include:
- All Town Offices Closed to the Public. The Select Board and Board of Health voted on Monday March 16 to close all town offices to the public until further notice. These closures apply to Town Hall, Brewster Ladies Library, Council on Aging, Recreation Department, Department of Natural Resources, Department of Public Works, and Water Department. Exterior drop boxes are being installed at the main entrance to Town Hall for the public to use to drop off documents while Town Hall is closed. More information to follow shortly.
- Captains Golf Course Closed. The Captains Golf Course will be closed until further notice. Freemans Grill will remain closed at this time as well.
- The Brewster Recycling Center to Reopen on Thursday March 19. The Recycling Center will remain open, operating on its standard Thursday through Monday schedule from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, until further notice. At this time, the Recycling Center will only process trash and recycling materials – no fee items such as yard waste, electronics, construction debris, scrap metal, mattresses, etc. We urge all residents to be respectful of their neighbors and town employees, and use appropriate social distancing while disposing of their trash and recycling.
- Continued Provision of Essential Services. The Police and Fire Departments are fully operational. Limited Inspectional services (Fire, Health, Building, Electrical, Plumbing/Gas) and Town Clerk services (birth & death certificates and marriage licenses) are available. Please inquire with those departments directly with any questions.
- All Non-regulatory Board/Committee Meetings Cancelled. The Board of Health, Select Board, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Conservation Commission, and Old Kings Highway Historic District Commission will continue to hold essential, regulatory meetings at this time. These proceedings will be broadcast live (audio only) on Channel 18 and http://livestream.brewster-ma.gov or available for replay at http://tv.brewster-ma.gov. All members of these regulatory boards and committees and their support staff will be participating remotely in these meetings. Members of the public can provide written comment in advance. Specific email addresses will be provided for each board and committee in advance of these meetings. Our procedures are consistent with Governor Baker’s March 12, 2020 Executive Order temporarily modifying the State’s Open Meeting Law.
- Potential Changes to Date of Town Meeting and/or Local Election. While discussions regarding potential postponement of these upcoming activities have not yet begun, Governor Baker has introduced legislation that would allow municipalities to delay Town Meeting if necessary. Town officials will evaluate the situation in the coming weeks.
Brewster Coronavirus Task Force Continues to Meet. Town staff and officials remain in constant communication to provide a coordinated local response to this pandemic and to adapt departmental operations accordingly. Our latest actions will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis. The Board of Health may take additional measures as necessary.
Please Contact Staff With Questions. Residents are encouraged to call or email staff (https://www.brewster-ma.gov/brewster-directory). While our offices are closed to the public and we are minimizing our physical presence at town facilities, staff are regularly checking voicemails and emails, and are available to respond as needed. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
Sign Up For Town Updates. A reminder that, if you wish to receive daily email updates about the latest local developments and all other town activities, you may sign up here: https://www.brewster-ma.gov/email-newsletter-subscription You may also sign up here for emergency phone notifications from the Town: https://www.smart911.com/smart911/registration/registrationLanding.action?cdnExternalPath=
Thank You for Your Cooperation. We thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience as we work together during this unprecedented public health emergency.