The Brewster Town Offices are available by email and phone Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4pm and are open to the public Tuesday through Thursday. The Town continues to provide the following essential services. The continued provision of these services is consistent with the latest state and local response measures to the coronavirus pandemic.
A new drop box has been installed at the main entrance to Town Hall for the public to use to drop off documents while Town Hall is closed.
Please click on the links below for department specific guidelines.
Historic District Committee (OKH)
Natural Resources (including Conservation, Harbormaster, Shellfish)
Planning Department/Zoning Board of Appeals
Building Department: Consistent with Governor Baker’s March 23, 2020 emergency order and related guidance from his Chief Legal Counsel, the Building Department is still operating while Town Hall is closed. Permit applications are being accepted, inspections are being arranged, and we are available via phone at (508) 896-3701 EXT 1125 or preferably via email at email@example.com.
Please note the following Policies and Procedures (effective March 25, 2020 until further notice)
All permit applications and accompanying documents may be obtained from the Town’s website www.brewster-ma.gov
Blank applications will also be available at the drop box located at Town Hall.
Electrical, Plumbing and Gas Permit Applications
Completed Electrical, Plumbing and Gas Applications with accompanying insurance information may be mailed to Building Department, 2198 Main Street, Brewster, MA 02631 or physically delivered to the Town Hall drop box. If an application is delivered to the drop box, please note the payment (checks only) should be placed in the separate payment mail box located on side of drop box. Fee schedules are also posted on the drop box.
Please provide an e-mail address with ALL applications.
Building Permit Applications
Building permit applications for windows, doors, roofing, siding, bathroom renovations, and other “express” type of work may be emailed to the Building Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Town of Brewster, Attention: Building Department, 2198 Main Street, Brewster, MA 02631 or dropped in the drop box located at Town Hall. Do NOT submit deposits or payments at this time as permit fees will be collected at a later time.
For Building permit applications for more complex projects, we request that the completed applications along with accompanying support documents be mailed to Town of Brewster, Building Department, 2198 Main Street, Brewster, MA 02631 or physically delivered to the drop box located at Town Hall. Do NOT submit deposits or payments at this time as it will be collected at a later time.
Permit Application Processing
The Building Department is minimally staffed and there could be a 48-56 hour delay in the time that the application is dropped off or received by mail and when it is considered officially received.
A Building Department staff member will contact you to confirm receipt of the application. Please provide e-mail address on applications.
Inspections are being performed and in some cases the inspectors may accept alternate forms of verifying that construction is compliant with applicable codes and regulations. Alternate forms of inspections will need to receive prior approval by the applicable inspector before continuing work.
Alternate forms could include virtual inspections by video/photos or by having the licensed individual submit a signed statement of inspection.
As of March 25, 2020, Inspectors office hours are:
Monday and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
(508) 896-3701 EXT 1127
Plumbing and Gas Inspector:
Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
(508) 896-3701 EXT 1113
The Building Inspector does not have a set schedule for office hours at this time. Please send an email or leave a voice message and a staff member will get back to you as soon as possible.
Email - email@example.com
(508) 896-3701 EXT 1125
- You may obtain blank permit applications on line at our website at www.brewster-ma.gov (Health Department section) Permits dropped off in the drop box located at the Town Hall entrance will be processed as timely as possible. You are encouraged to mail permit applications to the Health Department – 2198 Main Street Brewster, MA 02631. Once issued, we will be mailing back permits
- Mail Box Procedure: If you chose to drop off your permit application in the drop box, please make sure that you leave plans/application/other documentation in the Health Department slot. Do not place payments in this slot. Place all checks in the Building/Health Department lock box located on the side of the drop box. Please make sure all applications and documents /plans have the correct address and contact information on them. Please be sure you identify the job site address on the check. Please make all checks payable to the Town of Brewster.
- All final septic inspections will require engineer certification only due to the temporary suspension of Health Agent inspections, unless the project is a minor repair (d-box, line, tees, etc.). Minor repairs will require either engineer certification or a photo (s) submitted with the as-built card.
Food Service pre-opening permitting and inspections: The Brewster Health Department is suspending all pre-opening food service inspections until further notice. Listed below are the steps to follow to open your establishments for the season
- Complete and submit your seasonal food service application and permit fee by mail.
- Call or email the Health Department at 508-896-3701 X1120; firstname.lastname@example.org) a minimum of 5 days prior to your anticipated opening date.
- Per Governor Baker’s recent emergency mandate, all food service establishments are restricted to take-out or delivery service only. If you will be operating a delivery service for the first time, please email your Standard Operating Procedural plan to our office to place in your file.
- Our office will issue food service permits once we are notified of your date of opening and we are in receipt of your application and fee.
In accordance with Governor Baker’s Order, all annually licensed pool facilities must remain CLOSED until further notice.
The Brewster Health Department will mail out seasonal pool renewal applications in conjunction with further Orders from Governor Baker. Inspections will need to be conducted prior to issuing a Permit. Listed below are the steps to follow to open your pool(s) for the season.
- Complete and submit your seasonal pool application and permit fee by mail. Please include a current copy of your Certified Pool Operator Certification.
- Passing bacterial water testing lab results must be submitted to the Health Department prior to requesting an inspection.
- Inspections shall be scheduled five (5) days prior to your planned opening date.
Notice to Barnstable County Water Laboratory customers and Instructions for well water testing
The safety of our customers and staff is our primary concern. In light of which, the Lab’s front Lobby will remain closed to the public. When you drop off samples please come in through the front door and place your samples on the cart in the foyer. Ring the doorbell, and someone will help you presently. Chains of custody and payments can be handed through the mail slot. Be aware we are only receiving samples from 13:00 – 16:00 on Monday through Thursday (no Friday drop-off). If there is already someone in the foyer when you arrive please wait until they leave before entering. We ask that you maintain a six-foot distance from others at all time.
Please note that there will be no rapid turnaround orders (aka, rush orders) accepted at this time. The courier loop to municipal health departments is currently suspended.
Please go to https://barnstablecountyhealth.org/programs-and-services/water-quality-laboratory for further instructions.
Application materials and associated forms are available online as fillable PDFs (see http://records.brewster-ma.gov/weblink/0/fol/75777/Row1.aspx). These materials can be filled out online by clicking on a line in the document and typing in information. Once completed you can save the filled out document and submit it as an attachment to Sara Provos via email.
Applications can be received by email and be reviewed to the extent possible for completeness. In the event that file attachments exceed email size limitations, please mail hard copies. Hard copy information submitted in conjunction with an application submitted by email, will be reviewed when possible. Please mail all information to Town of Brewster- OKH, 2198 Main Street, Brewster, MA 02631.
Hard copies may also be dropped off at the drop box located at Town Hall. Please be advised that hard copies could have a 48-56 hour delay in the time that the application is dropped off or received by mail and when it is considered officially received.
Applicants will be notified electronically when applications are deemed “complete”.
We are working on establishing protocols for remote meetings and public hearings. Please contact Sara Provos regarding scheduled public hearings.
Natural Resources Department (including Conservation, Harbormaster, Shellfish): Permit applications are being accepted (see below for instructions). We are available for inquires via phone 508-896-4546 or email conservation related questions to email@example.com , and harbormaster or shellfish questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that as of 3/21/2019 The Department has relocated to 1657 Main St (the old Fire Dept building).
- You may obtain blank permit applications on line at our website at www.brewster-ma.gov (Conservation or Natural Resources Department section) Permits dropped off in the drop box located in our lobby will be processed as timely as possible. You are encouraged to mail permit applications to Conservation or Natural Resources Department –1657 Main Street Brewster, MA 02631. Once issued, we will be mailing back permits
- Razor clam applications are located in our lobby; please submit completed forms in an envelope through the slot.
Please make sure all applications and documents /plans have the correct address and contact information on them. Please be sure you identify the job site address on the check. Please make all checks payable to the Town of Brewster.
- We have requested a voluntary continuance for 90 days for all new permit applications to the Conservation Commission. We will be continuing to meet remotely for urgent matters per our normal schedule.
Police Department: Until further notice, we are asking citizens to avoid coming into the lobby of the Police Station if they do not need to. We will be temporarily allowing our officers to take reports over the phone for any issue or incident that we feel would not require a visit to your home. Some examples could be: Neighbor dispute/civil matter, Calls for advice, Credit card/Identity theft, Animal matters that are not a threat to public safety. If you have a situation that can potentially be resolved over the phone by speaking with a police officer, please call our business line at 508-896-7011. Please continue to use 911 for all emergencies and medical calls.
Planning Board/Zoning Board of Appeals: If you are looking for information on a property, please either email us at email@example.com or leave a voicemail at 508-896-3701 x1133 and we will respond as soon as possible.
- The filing of land use applications and materials will be done entirely electronically until further notice. Please use the drop box located at Town Hall for large format plans requiring signature and fee payments, only. Please email ahead if you are planning to file an application so we may best coordinate next steps with you.
Recycling Center: The Recycling Center continues to operate on its standard Thursday through Monday, 8:00AM to 3:00PM schedule. In addition to trash and recycling disposal, the Recycling Center is now accepting residential yard waste disposal (including leaves) and composting pick-up. Fee items are still not accepted at this time. Please continue to consolidate your trips to the Recycling Center, and be respectful of our employees and your neighbors by practicing social distancing at all times.
Town Clerk: All Birth, Death, and Marriage requests will be handled by mail. You may place the request in the drop box at Town Hall but please remember to include a check or money order payable to Town of Brewster for each certificate requested.
- If an individual would like to take our nomination papers to run for an elected office for the Town of Brewster, either mail or place in drop box a signed letter asking for the nomination papers to be mailed,. Please include contact information so that the Clerk’s Office may contact you with instructions and requirements. If a potential candidate has their nominations completed and would like to turn them in they can either; mail them to the Town Hall or utilize the drop box outside of Town Hall entrance. We are checking email and the voicemail daily so please don’t hesitate to contact the Town Clerk’s office with any questions at 508-896-4506.
- Potential Changes to Date of Town Meeting and/or Local Election: While discussions regarding potential postponement of these upcoming activities have not yet begun, Governor Baker has introduced legislation that would allow municipalities to delay Town Meeting if necessary. Town officials will evaluate the situation in the coming weeks.
Water Department: The office is open to the public Tuesdays and Thursays from 8:30am to 4:00pm. Applications and payments can be dropped off in the Water Department drop box. Office staff will continue answering and/or returning phone calls. Please leave a detailed message if your call is not answered. The Police Department will contact Emergency Water Personnel at any time, if needed. Seasonal home water service turn-ons will continue to be scheduled until further notice.
Town officials will continue to monitor operations and regularly reassess local measures that have been put in place and make adjustments as necessary.