Please click here to access the latest Town of Brewster updates on the Coronavirus

Brewster Cumulative Cases: 409 (108 in long-term care facilities)
Please note - # of cases may differ from state or county totals based on data collection methods. Long term care facility data reported to the state database includes all residents and staff tested at the facility. Brewster totals only include residents and staff that reside in Brewster. Click here for a chart of cases by date.

The Barnstable County Department of Health and Environment offers a helpline for COVID related questions, Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm, at 1-774-330-3001. 

Due to current public health data and state restrictions, Town offices are closed to the public until further notice.

Water Department Frequently Asked Questions

Why is my February bill higher than the August Bill?

February's bill is based on water used from June through December.

Does the Water Department offer a Payment Plan?
If a customer would like to pay their bill in payments we do offer a payment plan, if they contact us shortly after they receive their bill and before the bill is past due. We will divide the balance into as many months as they need up to 6 months, to have their balance satisfied before the next bill is mailed. We will send out 2 copies of a payment plan agreement and they will send back a signed copy with their first payment. No interest will be charged on your outstanding balance. We do not send monthly bills for payment plan customers. It is your responsibility to make a note on your calendar to send us the payment each month, or you are removed from the plan and interest will begin.

How can I check my house for leaks?
Check the toilet for leaks by removing the top of the tank and listening very closely, If you hear any hissing at all try to locate where it is coming from. If you locate the area where the leak is coming from, assess it and determine if you can fix it. If you can't, then call a plumber. If nothing is noticeable, add some food coloring and put a couple of drops in the tank (not the bowl). Wait about thirty(30) minutes, if you have coloring in the bowl you have a leak in the flapper at the bottom of the tank that is allowing water to seep through. At this point you can see if you want to do the repair yourself, or call a plumber.

My water smells. What should I do?
Hot Water? 
Connect a garden hose to the spigot at the bottom of your hot water tank and drain it down and then let your tank refill.
Cold Water? You are able to flush out your own water service by using your outdoor spigots. It may take about thirty(30) minutes. If you have tried flushing your water service for over thirty (30) minutes and your water isn't any clearer contact the water department.

My water is brown. Is it safe?
Yes the water is safe but, you are able to flush your own water service by using your outdoor spigots. It may take about thrity (30) minutes. If you have tired flushing your water service for over thirty (30) minutes and your water isn't any clearer contact the water department.

Is the BWD a part of Digsafe?
No. Please contact Digsafe first ( and then contact the BWD with your digsafe number. Standard mark-out requests are three business days.

How Much Water Does the Average Home Use?
Estimates vary, but each person uses about 80-100 gallons of water per day. Other information is available at

Does Brewster have hard or soft water?
Brewster has soft water. The average is 25 mg/l

What do I do if I think my service is leaking in my yard?
The water department is open Monday through Friday 7:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. After hours and weekends the water department always has someone on call. Normal business hours please call 508-896-5454. After hours please call the Brewster Police Department at 508-896-7011.

Who is responsible for the repairs to my water service?
The water department is responsible for the water service from the water main to the curb stop. The water service after the curb stop to the house is the responsibility of the home owner. There is no charge to the owner if the leak is between the water main and the curb stop. If there is a leak after the curb stop to the house the homeowner must hire a town approved contractor for the repair.

*Please refer to the Applications, Forms, Reports and Document section of the water department website for further information.